Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day-Service IS Included

Yesterday was Valentine's Day, and since Will and I are notorious for having bad valentine's days, (we can never get our act together about what we want to do, where we want to eat etc., that we end up walking around wherever in the world we happen to be, and then are angry and pissy by the time we walk into some crappy dive) that we decided to make reservations at a place that I have come to love in Camden, Jamon Jamon, for Spanish tapas. We both LOVE tapas, love Camden, and love that it is a bit out of the way, so there wouldn't be as many tourists. What we didn't think of (and I'd like to give myself a big DUH for this one) is that on valentine's day, EVERYONE makes reservations! So it was CROWDED, even though we did have a table, the waiters weren't sure which of them had us as a table, so it took a half hour to place our drink and food order. Our food came fairly quickly, it was okay (I've had better), but I found a jagged plastic shard in one of our dishes, that I had actually accidently put in my mouth! We complained (as you do about a shard in your food), and were told that that dish would be taken off our bill. We decided not to let a little shard bother us, so we carried on eating. After we had finished with everything we waited to be noticed to ask for the bill. After an hour, we were getting slightly annoyed as people who came in after us had eaten, paid, and left. Was this discrimination? No idea, kinda hard to prove. When we finally got the bill, not only were we charged for the shard food, but for two extra drinks (and while I would have LIKED to have consumed them, we are on a massive budget, that did not allow), we complained, and only the extra drinks were removed. We talked it out, decided that this could take all night for 5 pounds, and decided, it was ultimately not worth it. PS-service WAS included!

Now normally, I would say I would never frequent a place like this again, and Will has made up his mind not to, and to write a letter, a la Laura Duff, in hopes of getting some type of retribution. But I have been to this place numerous times, had great service, great food, and even food gratis, so I'm torn. It was an awful, awful, experience, although definitly not the worst in Mell-Taylor/Keefer Valentine history, but I can't help thinking, we should have just gone there for lunch...

On another note, I just answered the door, and two bible thumpers were there to preach the word! I live above a shop, in an alley! How did they find us? I, as a good American, came down, in my pajamas, which consist of a Google Tee-shirt (thanks Tasha and Jared) and bright red pants, in slippers, with my hair all over the place, they looked frightened, and visibly repositioned themselves for a challenge when my accent became apparent (immediately I would think). They asked if I have found God, I said, "which one?" (I LOVE this part), they asked if I was a Christian, I responded that Christians forceably took my people and made us one of them, but we are now going back to our heathen ways and looking at the world in terms of things being pre-determined, but that I was already saved, thanks. The women then said that if I was not a part of the Church of England, I was NOT saved (she was quite red in the face at this point), I looked at her, and her partner, and said, an Irish women and a women from Asia, do you know the history of how YOUR people were forced to become Christians? Then I started telling the story of Ireland, which is one of my favorites. I asked if she was an old English, or all Irish, she responded all Irish, which I prompted said, that if she wasn't moved by St. Patrick, then I have NO IDEA how she thinks her ancestors aren't rolling over in their graves, but that I had some literature upstairs, would she like some reading to take away with her? She left. GOD I LOVE bible thumpers!

PS- I am now officially employed as a Sales Consultant at the Futon Company, so yes, I have a job! We will let you know about Will's situation soon, but it's looking GOOD!

2 comments:

teh = the said...

as a somewhat ex-server, please hate the shard, and not the person who delivered it. I hate that those ar recipients think that it is the duty of the server to go through their food to make sure there is no glass, or plastic, or a human appendage in their food. When people used to ask me why I would serve them cold or undercooked food, I always wanted to reply that as much as i wanted to put my fingers all over their food to tell if it was too hot or cold, or as much as I wanted to take a bite out of their food before serving it, I decided it was in their best interest that I did neither.
If a sociologist really wants to tell the state of a nation, they should become a server for a week and see how they are treated.
David Wilcox has a great song about how you can tell whether or not to marry someone by how they treat the waiter. And... I agree.

So, glad you found a job. You and Will have both been in our thoughts. And on the bible-thumper note, I tried to get my "free" copy of the book of Mormon only to find out it is not "free", as it requires setting aside time to listen to the sales pitch of why Jesus is not the Son of God, but a really powerful angel, and that if we're good enough we get to populate our own planet. So, too bad.

Kara Alison said...

I love that you tortured the bible thumpers. Did I ever tell you my dad used to invite them in to sit down and chat before he did the exact same thing to them? They never knew what hit them.